Galley kitchens

Posted on Thu, 18 Feb 2010 by KiM

I figured it was about time for another reader request. This one comes from Marisa: “We bought a 1950’s house a few years ago and are (finally) ready to start planning our kitchen renovation. It’s terrible! Three layers of stick-on tiles, fake wood countertops, “custom” lighting. However, most inspiration kitchens are open plan, while ours is galley – and no potential to be otherwise because every wall in this house is cement block. Weird! Would you be willing to find some galley kitchen inspiration photos?” Simple enough request. Here ya go Marisa! (OMG aren’t cement walls a b*tch?!)

Hus & Hem Sköna hem

Bolig Magasinet
Folio
Living etc.
Marie Claire Maison
House & Garden

sara says:

THANK YOU! I had all but given up hope on finding some practical inspiration! THANK YOU! great post!

midcenturyjo says:

Sara it looks like one by Kim Parker for The Rug Company. Gorgeous isn’t it!

Belinda says:

That’s a great collection of inspiring kitchen designs – well done!

I saw in one of them the use of rounded corners and from experience I really recommend including them – saves on those extra bruises that happen so easily when you’re busy entertaining and the kitchen is full.

Bumping into a rounded corner rather than a regular sharp edged angular corner makes a big difference and it doesn’t hurt!

Keep up the great work, I love what you’re doing.

All the best,
Belinda

Danielle says:

These kitchen images are so inspiring! We bought our home 3 years ago and it had been fully renovated by a guy with no design sense AT ALL (sorry that was cruel…super nice guy). Anyway, the kitchen has been a pet peeve of mine ever since. Our home is a 75 year old cape cod with lots of character and the kitchen looks like it belongs in a 15 year old condo with tons of light. Needless to say, the cabinets are dark and hung too high and the appliances are over sized for the space. So, it needs to be redone on a budget and I am so inspired by all of these kitchens…thanks a bunch for a super helpful post!

manny says:

Great post…great kitchens
I also believe that when it comes to selling your property, the kitchen is probably the most important room of all. Modern families spend much of their time in this area: cooking, eating, working and playing. Whether you update the existing space or undertake more major work – knocking down walls to create an open-plan space, for example – transforming your kitchen will pay off

LOVE these! I am in the process of writing a post in praise of the galley kitchen and I came across these amazing images!

Workwear says:

Another interesting idea of gallery kitchen.I don't have that much space to make a it a full fledged kitchen,I am trying to figure out how i should design my gallery kitchen.

Some stunning pictures and great use of smaller spaces.

Thanks for the post.

Jessica says:

Galley style kitchens have so much more to offer than people often think. I absolutely love all of these, I don't even think I could choose a favorite if I tried. The character touches, like the checkered floor and the orange wall, really add something to the space.

Eleanor says:

Love this post! This was exactly what I was looking for…ideas for gallery style kitchens. Would you be able to guess for the gallery kitchen from Folio and House & Garden, what kind of material would they have used for the cabinetry?