WINKS - weekend links. Here we list what has come in during the week, things we've found and things we think you'll want to see. If you'd like to see your blog or website featured email us and if we think it fits with our readers we'll link you. So what's in this week?
- So are you working on your entries? Better not leave it too late. What am I talking about? Why the great contest the Material Girls are holding. Readers need to design a room based on one of their favorite TV characters, include a pair of Swank lamps and have their entries in by November 1st. Judges include our favourite Chicago designer Julia Buckingham Edelmann and Ed and Doug the fab guys from Swank Lighting. Details here and here. Winner will be announced on November 15th. Chop chop not much time to whip up that fabuloso board and snag those gorgeous lamps! (Oooooh there are three prizes and they are all gorgeous!)
- Sonodesign specialise in the design and production of contemporary products and furniture. The company was created in September 2007 by Grant Baker and Nick Jackson, two young and innovative designers who share a passion for designing unique, yet simple products produced in the UK. I'm loving their profile shades and lamps as well as the house candle holder. Check out their website for more fab designs and where you can get your hands on them.
- Have you seen the new site Ecologue? It's a great selection of home-improvement/decorating articles and how-to videos ... from how to choose eco-savvy furniture to DIY recycled crafts (and a whole lot more). Ecologue's mission is to make it easy for people to incorporate healthy, environmentally-friendly practices into every day life.
- You would have to be living under a rock to miss this one but I just have to add my voice to the chorus clamoring to get their hands on Domino: The Book of Decorating (Simon & Schuster) by domino magazine editors Deborah Needleman, Sara Ruffin Costello and Dara Caponigro. Tuesday, October 14 marks its debut. The book is a wonderfully colorful room-by-room guide, sharing an array of insider interior design tips, expert shopping strategies and personal design experiences. Find it at bookstores nationwide (in the States) and via amazon.com (for the rest of us). Want a peek inside, click here.
- Blog alert! New York interior designer Brad Ford (we featured him here and here) has started blogging. Design Therapy is just as stylish and inspiring as Brad's portfolio. Brad emailed that he started the blog "to collect images and ideas that inspire me and to share information on what's happening in the high-end design industry. It's focused on a more modern sensibility but with a warm soulful slant."
- IKEA is sponsoring a web based comedy program staring Illeana Douglas? Yep! Emails have been popping into my inbox and I've clicked on over like thousands of others. Easy to Assemble is a scripted comedy which tells the story of Illeana Douglas when she quits her Hollywood career to work at the IKEA in Burbank. Her past is more difficult to leave behind than she thought! Hollywood craziness with all its gossip columnists, agents, managers, stalkers, fans and celebrity friends soon follows Illeana into her new life. Starring Illeana Douglas, Jeff Goldblum, Tom Arnold, Justine Bateman, Jane Lynch, Ed Begley Jr., Craig Bierko, Kevin Pollack and Robert Patrick.