Altius is a Toronto-based firm that specializes in residential design. I love featuring Canadian folks on the blog, and when I found this firm mentionned in a magazine spread from a few years back, I was pleased as punch to find a post-worthy portfolio on their website. It's modern, clean and warm with lots of wood and huge expanses of windows used throughout. Incredible attention to detail.
Ami wrote in with a request. "I am trying to find photos of studies/home offices that incorporate old world maps. We’re trying to make our home office area into a old world study/library kinda like the ones with antiques maps, globes, big thick books…Indiana Jones-ish.Do you know where I can find such photos? I want to get some décor ideas."
Well Ami I trawled through our files and came up with some map ideas. Not all are home offices and some are definitely not Indiana Jones (OK some are far removed from hunky archaeologist characters) but all are full of ideas for displaying maps. I personally love maps used as wallpaper or framed between two pieces of glass or acrylic to let the wall colour show through. Beautifully arranged grid patterns are also stunning (hard work to measure up though). I've included a range of styles here for all you map lovers out there and as you can see not all are exactly maps but I thought botanicals, flags and astronomy charts could be included at a pinch. Take an idea from here mix it with a look from there and maybe a colour from over there. Now you're on your way!
|Lauren Rubinstein||Imagine this with map snippets!Mark Luscombe- Whyte|
|With maps! Steven Gambrel||Robin Bell|
|Vogue Living||Again Steven Gambrel and again with maps|
|Antoine Bootz||Robin Bell|
|Ralph Lauren||Zoldan Interiors|
|Steven Gambrel||Location Works|
|Bombus||Yes even Martha Stewart|
Part 2 of our flipping through the pages of retro design book Inside Today's Home, 4th Edition by Ray & Sarah Faulkner, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, 1975. Love these old images I truly do. Whether retro horrendous or classic design that stands the test of time I can't get enough of old design books. Enjoy!
WINKS - weekend links. Here we list what has come in during the week, things we've found and things we think you'll want to see. If you'd like to see your blog or website featured email us and if we think it fits with our readers we'll link you. So what's in this week? (Or should I say the past couple of weeks because of the reading guides!)
- Gemma Comas, whose work we featured here, has joined the blogosphere. Her latest work is featured on her blog and of course it's gorgeous. Welcome Gemma!!
- I received a newsletter from Avolli an extensive resource for quality Swedish antiques in the Gustavian, Biedermeier, Art Deco and Mid-Century Modern styles. Their online catalogue is drool worthy. Beautiful beautiful pieces.
- Anna emailed to introduce her blog Let them eat anemones a few weeks ago and it's taken me all this time to share it with you. Lots of etsy finds, art and design. Great blog Anna!
- Ann-Louise Lollo Jansson saw our post on Decor Maison and wrote to let us know that she is importing these wallpapers into Australia through her business Scandinavian Wallpaper & Decor. She is based in Perth, Western Australia and wholesales throughout Australia. I'm so excited because this is such a gorgeous range!
- J. Lohmann Gallery specialises in design and decorative arts from the 1920s to the 1980s. Oh this website is full of wonderful furniture, metalwork and ceramics with emphasis on German designers and artistic movements. I want them all. So stylish so covetable. Thanks to Joern for introducing this New York gallery. Swoon.
- mixd is a new concept for better home living, the mix between an online store and a platform for designers. Every two months they will introduce a new collection, both from designers & restylers. New and vintage furniture, accessories, wall and fabric art. Cutting edge design presented by Yves from Belgium. Sorry it's taken so long to get you on WINKS Yves but I LOVE everything on your site. Too cool!
- Summer has arrived at Flutter with juicy summer bright furniture and fun insect hooked pillows. Lots more new in store. Pop over and take a look.
- Diana sent a link to Jim Rosenau's shelves and furniture made from books and I'm so glad she did. How amazing is this and SO much fun! See it all on This into That.