Rove Concepts


Merry Christmas me :)

Quick snap via iPhone of my new kilim. On sale online. I had a discount code too so I had to buy it. I promise. It's 4.6 m long and 1.6 wide and it's perfect for the breezeway. But ... we had to take up the black and white check vinyl because of damage and black mould. (Everyone assumes they are tiles but it was just old scuffed vinyl.) Now we have to scrape the old paint off the concrete floor. Not all of it. I like old painted concrete floors but this stuff is super flaky. Guess what I'm doing on my Christmas break? Shots of it in the room soon.


DQF dining table and 6 chairs for sale ... SOLD

Photo by Brismod of Fun and VJs when she came to take away some of my thrift scores

It's time to let it go. I'm sad but my Danish Quality Furniture (DQF) table and chairs just don't work in my dining room. The scale is wrong and the dark blue walls swamp the delicate lines. Time for someone else to own them. DQF was a Brisbane furniture company started in 1958 by Danish immigrant Eric Peterson. The table is a six seater extension with a teak top and blackbean legs. The 6 chairs are blackbean with vinyl covers. The table and chairs have been professionally reglued and refinished. The colour is closer to the indoor photo as it was a very sunny day when I took the outdoor shots. I had originally covered the chairs in that mad floral fabric but it was removed when the chairs were refinished. The current covers have overspray from the restoration but are intact so you might be able to remove the overspray.  I haven't tried. I had intentions to recover them in leather.

The price is $900. 6 original vintage chairs and a table that extends from round to oval in beautiful condition. Replica Danish chairs are over $300 each on those repro furniture sites and that's before you add in the table and don't even get me started on the price in a vinatge dealer's shop. Why am I selling so reasonably? The chairs need recovering (but that is not an expensive job ... you can even do it yourself). I am not interested in delivering or arranging a courier or wrapping or waiting for said courier. This is a pick up from my house in Ipswich, Queensland only. There is a very, very faint circular mark in the centre of the extension leaves. You can just see it in the second photo. You can't of course when the table is closed or when you have your Murano vase or West German pot on the table. So that's why the price is only $900. Interested? Email me and we'll talk.


Are your cupboards still full Brismod?

Thrifting loot from today. Someone must have thrown out their Finnish and Danish glass in the past week. Of course I snapped it up in a heart beat. First a set of 4 Festivo wine glasses by Timo Sarpaneva in their original box.  The polystyrene insert still squeaks beautifully. What did I pay for these beauties? $3 for the set.

Next is a Tapio Wirkkala Ultima Thule bowl about 15 cm across. Grand total of $4.

Finally a Holmegaard Kluk Kluk decanter. I have 4 of these in various sizes and colours already including one just like this one. Of course I didn't ever pay the low, low price of $8. Bargain. So Anita are your cupboards and shelves still full? Or can I twist your arm to take these off me?


Religious kitsch

I have a confession to make. I have a thing for religious iconography. No let me be honest. For religious kitsch. Life size statues, little statues, paint by number Jesuses, crucifixes and rosary beads, old religious books particularly ones preaching the evils of alcohol and cautionary tales of children straying from the path. I'm sure it has something to do with my Catholic upbringing. Remember the scene in the Blues Brothers with The Penguin at the top of the stairs? Yep. Just like that. I'm an atheist these days but I still have a thing for the trappings of my youth.

Love the good guide dog tale in this book. John lost his sight in a chemistry lab accident.The bad photos below are of parts of my 1916 Hibernian Society marching sash. Love the metal work, the embroidery, the history. Lesson learnt though is never let a blind husband handle the framing. This is what he chose. Needs something lighter and a bit brighter. Perhaps a perspex box. This one looks like one of those smelly footboot sports memorabilia frames ;) I have a lot more bits and pieces around the house but these will give you an idea of my collection.



Me at 13.30 on 18.11.12

I had to take some new head shots for a magazine article. I hate having my photo taken. Thank goodness my husband is blind and can't take them for me. He would run in terror as I swore and cursed and bitched about how I hate having my photo taken. I hate taking photos of myself but the difference is that I can't run in terror as I swear and curse and bitch about how I hate having my photo taken. So here are two photos. Me at 13.30 on Sunday 18.11.12. After dozens and dozens of shots. Must put my lipstick on straight next time .... *%#*##! :)