Since moving my work area to the tiny space between the kitchen and living room (my former workspace was a room at the back of my house that I think was built over a deck and not insulated and I refuse to work in there in the winter), I've been using an antique secretary desk I've had kicking around for a few years since it's compact. At some point someone painted it a mint green, and then rubbed a yellow stain all over it. Really bad faux finishing job. I couldn't take it anymore, so I finally got around to painting it. Here are some before photos:
As I have an affinity for flat black paint, that was of course what I painted it. But I gave it a little twist, and painted the bottom half of the legs in glossy black. I'm very happy with the results - but anything would have been an improvement. (Pay no attention to the curtain in the window - I have another project in mind for that).