Today’s reader request comes from Beverly: I am considering painting my kitchen cabinets black, at least the lowers. Most likely will do the uppers, which are doorless, in white to keep the room from being too dark. There is no natural light. Do you have any inspirations? I sure do!! I LOVE kitchens with black, whether it be just an island, or a wall, or cabinets. Now without natural light maybe painting the uppers white is a good idea but if you have a reasonable amount of wall space and you paint that white, then you likely could get away with painting all the cabinets black. Plus whatever you are displaying in the door-less uppers will show so nicely against the black. I couldn’t find many photos with black lowers and white uppers but you’ll see in many of these photos that white uppers maybe aren’t necessary.
Canadian House & Home
McGill Design Group
Søren Rose Studio
Freunde von Freunden
Molly wrote us last month with a request to see photos of black floors. I think black floors are HOT, and one day, when I do not have 7 cats, I shall have black floors somewhere in my home. (Interestingly, most of these are from Scandinavian websites).
|Vårt Nya Hem||Piet Boon|
Found something interesting when stalking this week. Architect designed renovation in St Kilda, Melbourne. Spacious modern extension, lovely courtyard garden leading to a rear garage/studio. Architect Matt Gibson. A quick click over to Mr Gibson’s website and there is the house again but just a little different (after the jump). The rear is still the same (minus the modern stools, statues now complete the space). The family/TV room is still the same. Kitchen stools have changed but the bowl on the counter is still there. The biggest difference is the dining room. Chalk and cheese. Black and white. Definitely not the same. Not even the same taste. Then there is the striped living room which doesn’t appear at all on the architect’s site or fit the vibe of the house as depicted on Gibson’s site. We do though on the architect’s website get a chance to peek at the lovely front courtyard garden. So what has happened between the architect taking photos for his portfolio and the real estate agent snapping slightly blurry photos for the listing? Did the architect not like the client’s aesthetic and did a little editing of furniture and spaces? Has the owner “matured” in taste over the time? After all we all change our minds over time when it comes to our rooms. Is it a divorce and the wife can finally go all girly… still in black and white though? A girl who stalks the real estate listings and spends her time staring through the “virtual” curtains needs to know these things 🙂 What’s your theory?
And now from the architect’s website….
99% of the posts on this blog are published to inspire our readers. I’d say the other 1% are purely selfish posts that Jo and I post because we find something we adore and want to remember. This is one of those selfish posts. My twin sister sent me this home on Hus & Hem the other day and I went a little nuts. I am in love with the black exterior of this home. I’ve been thinking alot lately about what to do with the interior of my home, particularly the new addition we’re adding, and haven’t given alot of thought to the exterior. But after seeing these photos I WANT A BLACK HOUSE!!! The interior of this home is pretty fabulous too because it’s black and white and that’s what I’d like to do to mine, but with less of a modern/Swedish vibe and more industrial and ethnic bits thrown in.
P.S. My husband and I found 2 local architects that we’d LOVE to work with for the addition we’re planning for the house but one is too busy and the other missed an appointment with us this week. I’m starting to worry we’ll never find anyone so if anyone out there knows of an architect in Ottawa who is creative and likes to think a bit outside the box, please email me @ email@example.com. THANKS!!
Pamela Makin has read my mind. How else would she know what I’d like in my beachside home? Hang that. How else would she know what I’d like in my home fullstop? The tribal artifacts, the smooth concrete floors, large striking artwork, views forever and natural textures including beautiful aged timbers teamed with cottons and linens. Les Interieurs is both Pamela’s interior design service and her Palm Beach, NSW store filled with one off pieces sourced from Africa, Thailand, Cambodia and India. Stunning interiors to match the breathtaking views. Sigh.