I've been devouring my latest copy of Vogue Living Australia this weekend. The feature that fascinated me the most was a multipage spread on Bas Luhrmann's latest epic Australia starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman. From the looks of the trailer it's a grand, big as the Australian sky romance with all the production values you've come to expect from a Luhrmann film. Academy Award winning Catherine Martin takes Vogue readers through the iconic homestead she created for the film from dusty decrepit ruin to bohemian and sophisticated deco outback home of Lady Sarah Ashley (Kidman). These images are from Vogue Living's online sample issue but you really must get your hands on a copy to drink in all the detail. Oh and see the movie too!
WINKS - weekend links. Here we list what has come in during the week, things we've found and things we think you'll want to see. If you'd like to see your blog or website featured email us and if we think it fits with our readers we'll link you. So what's in this week?
- Bonjour mon coussin are at it again. Fun soft furnishings like these fab perfumed pillows or creative typograpghy cushions. So much more in store here. Miam!!
- Mayo emailed to introduce her website. Beautiful, beautiful illustrations and quirky and fun and did I say beautiful? Need to see more? Go see Mayo.
- Marin has just started blogging and she's off to a great start! J'Adore Decour has lots of eye candy so pop on over and say hi.
- How cool is this mirror!! It's part of a new line "the vanity vanities" by Elena Coleman & Libby Kountzman of Dilettante. Click on over for more details. (Thanks Elena and good luck with your new venture!)
- Caroline from John Stefanidis sent us this image of Mr Stefanidis' latest glamour room. It's the Lobby to London's Decorex 2008 design show. Red, malachite green, black and silver provided a show stopper entrance to this prestigious design fair. The finest furniture, sparking chandeliers, fabulous fabric and a sumptuous bespoke John Stefanidis carpet. Was anyone there? Was it as grand in real life? Glamorous!
- New range from Wonder Walls and it's sexy, sassy and simply stunning! (OK enough of the alliteration!). "Parisienne" and "Ladies" - oh la la meets pin-up babe. Wallpaper, fabric, cushions and dinner plates.
- OrangeBeautiful's 2008 calender is ready for pre-order! Love typography and love the the fact that each page is easy to reuse as art in your home. I'll have to get one of these myself. Order here and here and of course enjoy the blog too ;) Thanks Emily!
- I'm addicted to anything Jonathan Adler particularly his bijou box range. Coming soon this just oh so cute rhino. Perhaps not too bijou in his case! Details on the website and while you are there take a another visit through Jonathon's interior design portfolio if you haven't recently. The perfect prescription for a great day!
I had a FANTASTIC morning (thanks to Jordan and his wife for the memorable and fun experience) and now that the extra chaos has ended my regularly scheduled posts will commence next week. In the meantime, here is a quick post of vignettes to end the week. Have a great weekend!
"Sander Architects seeks to find a balance between poetry and pragmatics. Starting with essential elements: environment, program, site restrictions, we encourage forms to develop which satisfy these basic needs while embracing the possibility of the poetic." And it's true! Beautiful sensitive and creative designs that are also at the forefront of green design.It's all about the power of light and space, site and spirit. I've concentrated on mainly interiors here but a visit to Whitney Sander's design firm's website reveals so much more including detailed explanations of each highly crafted building.
Checklist for a great photo. Beautiful light - check. Interesting composition, intriguing angles, inspired crop - check. Fab sense of colour - check. Ability to reach into a space and capture it's meaning and soul - a definite must! Carlos Domenech ticks all the right boxes and then a whole lot more. The finest houses by the best designers have been shot by this Miami based photographer but I chose the church interior as the first image because it captures the essence, the truth of the building so well. Check out Carlos' fine art photography here as well. Beautiful.