Fiona sent us an email about her bathroom and kitchen renovations that she did on a budget. She even included a breakdown of costs and the after photos are a big improvement, particularly the bathroom which you'llsee after the jump. First up, Fiona's kitchen.
I couldn't afford $20-$25K for a brand new kitchen, so I spruced up what I already had. My blue laminate bench top was covered with 12mm thick stone (fitted in a few hours), the kitchen splashback tiles were removed & the same stone was fixed to the walls. I had an overhead cupboard made which included a hidden under cupboard range hood. I scoured Google images to find a design I liked and had it made by a cabinet maker. I had the floor tiles replaced (and extended to include the dining & entrance way). Finally, I had my oven and cook top professionally cleaned to fit in with my 'new' kitchen. I kept all my appliances and existing sink with mixer to keep costs low. My price breakdown was:-
* Kitchen, entrance & dining floor tile removal & laying $1950
* Kitchen floor tiles & grout $1012
* Range hood including ducting kit $442
* Stone bench top & splashback $3830
* Floating cabinet $3500 (included installation of cabinet, installation of range hood & removal, patching & painting of old ceiling fan)
* Kitchen wall tile removal $400